The youth camp/home facility is based on an older larger one in Boys Town, Nebraska.The 2,848 acres (1,153 ha) Santa Susana Field Laboratory located in the Simi Hills, was used for the development of pioneering nuclear reactors and rocket engines beginning in 1948.Rocket engine tests were frequently heard in Simi Valley.The Atomics International division of North American Aviation designed, built and operated the Sodium Reactor Experiment, the first United States nuclear reactor to supply electricity to a public power system.Simi Valley has been ranked twice as the 18th most conservative city in the United States; once by The Bay Area Center For Voting Research Around 5,000 years ago these tribes began processing acorns, and harvesting local marshland plants.Roughly 2,000 years later, as hunting and fishing techniques improved, the population increased significantly.
The small colonial town known as "Santa Susana del Rancho Simi" throve in the late 19th century and had a Spanish-speaking majority, but since then many Anglo-Americans have arrived to settle.
The name derives from Shimiji, the name of the Chumash Native American village here before the Spanish.
It was one of the largest lands, but later when Mexico became independent from Spain, land was handed out much more freely.
The site was operated by Atomics International and Rocketdyne (originally both divisions of the North American Aviation company).
The Rocketdyne division developed a variety of liquid rocket engines.